Why You Should Use Oil On Your Face
I get a lot of questions on why you would use oil on your face. “Doesn’t it clog your pores?” “I have oily skin, why would I slap more oil on it?” “Wouldn’t it make me breakout?” “When should I apply the face oil during my routine?”
Very valid questions. I too at one point thought the idea of using oil, especially on my oily face, was counterintuitive, but I was wrong! Turns out, applying facial oil is an O.G. beauty routine–the same routine men and women used thousands of years ago. Do you think people in ancient times had a Lancome factory emulsifying cream lotions? Nah.
A proper facial oil is good for balancing your skin. What we are really after is sebum–our natural oil, which is thick and sticky. Our skin’s pores hold sebaceous glands that releases sebum (that greasy stuff we find on shining our face in the middle of the day). Sebum acts as a protector by grabbing onto any dirt, grime, or bacteria that comes in contact with your skin and hangs onto it so it won’t enter your body. However, an overproduction of sebum can cause the skin to trap too much gunk and clog up pores and underproduction can cause the skin to have a difficult time protecting itself.
Basically, what this boils down to is me telling you that using the proper 100% natural non-greasy oils on your face will help balance the natural oil production from your pores.
With oily skin, an applied natural facial oil will trick your skin into thinking it already has enough oil, shutting off sebum production and closing down the shine factory.
With dry or blemished areas, an organic oil with soothing plant materials, help lock-in moisture by forming a protective barrier, while also cleaning out or refreshing pores to end irritation and redness.
The benefits of a the right organic oil is great for dry, oily, or combination skin as they balance, detoxify, and mattify with just a minuscule amount of liquid.
In my KLAY Botanics Glow Oil, I use a blend of organic fast-absorbing oils that hydrate, soothes, softens, increase elasticity, and brings your glow to the forefront.
Here are 5 benefits of using organic facial oils on your face:
1. BALANCE – As mentioned above, using oil on your face helps combat the overproduction or underproduction of sebum that can clog your pores or produce wrinkles and fine lines to itchy and flaky skin.
2. PURITY – An organic oil that has been sustainably sourced and processed safely holds its purest benefits that come with the plant it was sourced from. This type is loaded with high levels of minerals and antioxidants.
3. PRESERVE – A pure oil doesn't need an added preservative to lengthen it's shelf-life. It can hold well for a few years before going rancid, given that it's stored in a dark and cool place. Using pure oils help keep preservatives out of my products!
4. LONGEVITY – Less is more! I know you've heard that before. With oil, you only need a few drops to moisturize your face. A pea-size amount of oil rubbed into your hands and patted or massaged onto your face is all most people need for their daily moisturizer.
5. NOURISHMENT – A good pure oil blend with an anti-aging formula, like my Glow Oil, filled with vitamin-E, omega-6 fatty acids, GLA & linoleic acid plus antioxidants, will moisturize your skin, increase elasticity, and help produce your youthful natural glow.
In the comments below, let me know if you have used facial oils and if so, which ones?